Decadent Date and Maple Slice
It’s a Sunday, how about some slice?
Recently I have been busy most Sundays making myself some healthy slices for the coming week to keep me away from those pesky chocolate bars. Upon informing my international flatmates of what I have been making I have realized that a “slice” as we say back home in New Zealand is quite a vague and nondescript name for these little treats that accompany our coffee on an afternoon at our favorite cafe. “A slice of what?” they say, well it’s a date slice of course a deliciously decadent raw date slice that will be fueling my busy week of activities.
All of the good stuff:
For the base:
– 2 C of oats (or a mix of nuts and oats) – 1 T Cocoa
– 1/2 C of desiccated coconut – 2 T Honey
– 1 T coconut oil
The top layer:
– 3/4 C coconut milk – 2 T maple syrup
– 1/2 C chopped dates – 1/2 C cashews
1. Simmer the coconut milk, maple syrup and the dates in a saucepan over a low heat.
2. In a food processor, finely blend the oats, cocoa, coconut, honey and coconut oil until you have a moldable consistency. If the mixture is too dry, add some more coconut oil.
3. Press the oaty base mixture in to the bottom of a non-stick square cake pan or in to a loaf tin (makes a thicker slice) and place in the freezer whilst you prepare the top layer.
4. Take the coconut milk mixture off the heat and let it cool slightly. Place the cashews in the food processor and add the coconut milk mixture to blend. The consistency should be similar to caramel.
5. Remove your base from the freezer and pour the top layer evenly over the base. Freeze overnight until the slice is set then cut the slice in to slices (of course!) Store in the freezer ready for snack time!